Wednesday, June 25, 2008

We have the City of Melbourne on our side...

MELBOURNE City councillors have voted to reject the proposed road tunnel linking the Eastern Freeway with the western suburbs.

At a meeting last night, eight of the nine councillors, including Lord Mayor John So, voted to oppose the $9 billion tunnel.

Only councillor Brian Shanahan voted against the final motion after arguing its wording should be much stronger.

"I want it clearly understood this council is horrified by the potential to disrupt parkland," he said.

Premier John Brumby expects to decide whether the tunnel - recommended by international transport expert Sir Rod Eddington - proceeds by the end of the year.

Councillors strongly objected to the use of parkland and called for a bigger focus on public transport solutions.

About 80 residents protested outside Melbourne Town Hall last night. Cr So, who previously backed the tunnel, said he supported sustainable solutions to help Melbourne grow.

รข– Cr So was last night due to fly to Singapore to address two conferences.

It is the second official overseas trip in less than a month for Cr So, who has yet to declare whether he will stand in the November council elections. His spokesman said the Lord Mayor would not meet any of the 1100 Melbourne ratepayers who reside in Singapore.


No comments: